The William L. Gilbert Clock Company, which was primarily based in Bristol/Winsted, Ct., was formed on July 5th, 1871. The founder was none other than the famous Mr. Gilbert himself. The company was formed to succeed the Gilbert Manufacturing Company, which had been destroyed by a fire. The company expanded and contracted, building several new buildings, expanding, and barely avoiding bankruptcy by the time 1914 rolled around. The firm went into receivership during the great depression, namely in September of 1932.
In July of 1934, a new firm called the William L. Gilbert Clock Corporation was formed. This succeeded the earlier company, and it continued to make clocks until about 1964, when it was sold to a company named the Spartus Corporation of Chicago. The company was sold because it had not made a profit in 12 years. This company was mostly known for building their clock cases from paper meche.